[Python-Dev] core python tests (was: Re: PyDict_SetItem hook)

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sat Apr 4 04:55:34 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 07:00:43PM +0100, Michael Foord wrote:
-> Collin Winter wrote:
-> >On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Michael Foord
-> ><fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
-> >
-> >>Collin Winter wrote:
-> >>
-> >>>As part of the common standard library and test suite that we agreed
-> >>>on at the PyCon language summit last week, we're going to include a
-> >>>common benchmark suite that all Python implementations can share. This
-> >>>is still some months off, though, so there'll be plenty of time to
-> >>>bikeshed^Wrationally discuss which benchmarks should go in there.
-> >>>
-> >>>
-> >>Where is the right place for us to discuss this common benchmark and test
-> >>suite?
-> >>
-> >>As the benchmark is developed I would like to ensure it can run on
-> >>IronPython.
-> >>
-> >>The test suite changes will need some discussion as well - Jython and
-> >>IronPython (and probably PyPy) have almost identical changes to tests that
-> >>currently rely on deterministic finalisation (reference counting) so it
-> >>makes sense to test changes on both platforms and commit a single
-> >>solution.
-> >>
-> >
-> >I believe Brett Cannon is the best person to talk to about this kind
-> >of thing. I don't know that any common mailing list has been set up,
-> >though there may be and Brett just hasn't told anyone yet :)
-> >
-> >Collin
-> >
-> Which begs the question of whether we *should* have a separate mailing list.
-> I don't think we discussed this specific point in the language summit -
-> although it makes sense. Should we have a list specifically for the test
-> / benchmarking or would a more general implementations-sig be appropriate?
-> And is it really Brett who sets up mailing lists? My understanding is
-> that he is pulling out of stuff for a while anyway, so that he can do
-> Java / Phd type things... ;-)

'tis a sad loss for both Python-dev and the academic community...

I vote for a separate mailing list -- 'python-tests'? -- but I don't
know exactly how splintered to make the conversation.  It probably
belongs at python.org but if you want me to host it, I can.

N.B. There are a bunch of GSoC projects to work on or with the CPython
test framework (increase test coverage, write plugins to make it
runnable in nose or py.test, etc.).  I don't know that the students
should be active participants in such a list, but the mentors should at
least try to stay in the loop so that we don't completely waste our time.

C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu