[Python-Dev] Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Apr 5 11:16:56 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 18:08 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Steve Holden writes:
>
>  > Not only that, but the Cygwin packaging system appears to be extremely
>  > difficult to organize a package for.
>
> Really?  I Don't Do Windows[tm], but the people who did installers and
> stuff for XEmacs releases never had problems with it.  It was much
> more painful to create the .exe-style Windows installers.

Back when I was maintaining setup.exe was when XEmacs started using
setup.exe to do installers; it must have been fairly straight forward
because we first heard of it when it was complete :).

The following may have changed, but I doubt it has changed dramatically
- the setup.exe system is kindof trivial: There is a .lst file which is
a .INI format file listing packages and direct dependencies.
- each package is a .tar.(gz|bz2) which is unpacked on disk, and
[optional] post-install, pre-removal scripts inside the tarball.

Doing an installer for something not part of Cygwin requires a one-time
fork of the setup.exe program, to change the master source for .lst
files, and thats about it. Beyond that its all maintaining whatever set
of packages and dependencies you have. If you are installing things for
Cygwin itself you can just depend directly on things Cygwin ships in
your .lst file; and not ship a setup.exe at all - setup.exe can source
from many places to satisfy dependencies.

-Rob