[Python-Dev] Mercurial?

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Sun Apr 5 20:43:24 CEST 2009

On 05/04/2009 20:29, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> FYI: this is the list of hooks currently employed:
> - pre: check whitespace
> - post: mail python-checkins
>          inform regular buildbot
>          inform community buildbot
>          trigger website rebuild if a PEP was modified
>          (but then, whether or not the PEPs will be maintained
>           in hg also needs to be decided)

All this is easy to do with Mercurial's hook system. One caveat is that
stuff (like whitespace) only gets checked at push time, not at commit
time (running commit hooks would have to be done on the client, but
since we don't sandbox hooks, they would be a liability to distribute by
default). People could still set them up locally for pre-commit if they
want, of course, but otherwise they may need some trickery to modify the
changesets they want to push.

For the email messages, we'll probably want to use the notify extension
that comes with hg.

> How to authenticate in that interface? We don't have passwords per
> committer.

Okay, so we'll use ssh.

Cheers,

Dirkjan