[Python-Dev] pyc files, constant folding and borderline portability issues

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Apr 6 23:27:29 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Cesare Di Mauro
<cesare.dimauro at a-tono.com> wrote:
> The Language Reference says nothing about the effects of code optimizations.
> I think it's a very good thing, because we can do some work here with constant
> folding.

Unfortunately the language reference is not the only thing we have to
worry about. Unlike languages like C++, where compiler writers have
the moral right to modify the compiler as long as they stay within the
weasel-words of the standard, in Python, users' expectations carry
value. Since the language is inherently not that fast, users are not
all that focused on performance (if they were, they wouldn't be using
Python). Unsurprising behavior OTOH is valued tremendously.