[Python-Dev] Contributor Agreements for Patches - was [Jython-dev] Jython on Google AppEngine!

Tobias Ivarsson thobes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 01:10:50 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>wrote:
--8<--

> >     * Should we change the workflow for roundup to make this assignment
> >       of license clearer (see Tobias's idea in the thread about a
> >       click-though agreement).
>
> I think we do need something written; a lawyer may be able to tell
> precisely.

The company I work for does open source development. And our lawyers said
that our model of having contributors send an e-mail with the text "I agree"
and our CLA as an attachment was perfectly valid, no hand written signature
needed. From there the step to a click through for something as simple as a
patch isn't too far. But I would not claim that I know any of these things,
I'm just hoping that we can have a simple process with no legal gray areas.

> I still hope that we can record, in the tracker, which contributors have
> signed an agreement.

That would be good.

Cheers,
Tobias