[Python-Dev] Dropping bytes "support" in json

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 05:21:05 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I don't know whether the parameter thing will work or not, but you're
> probably right that we need to get the bytes-everywhere API first.

Given that json is a wire protocol, that sounds like the right approach
for json as well. Once bytes-everywhere works, then a text API can be
built on top of it, but it is difficult to build a bytes API on top of a
text one.

So I guess the IO library *is* the right model: bytes at the bottom of
the stack, with text as a wrapper around it (mediated by codecs).

Cheers,
Nick.