[Python-Dev] Google Summer of Code/core Python projects - RFC

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 12 00:19:04 CEST 2009

> I'm using "core projects" as a shorthand for projects that directly
> address the core development environment, the stdlib, and priorities of
> committers on python-dev.  Tarek is a committer, and it sounded like
> you, Jim, and Georg were all interested in this project, too -- that
> pushes it well into "core" territory IMO.

I understand why Tarek wants it, and I can sympathise with that: to
protect PyPI passwords better (they are currently stored on disk in
plain).

Putting it into distutils might not make it "official API", but then,
I think it ought to be official API, since PyPI would be just one
(minor) application of it; Python also features a netrc module (which
probably nobody uses).

So I think it would be good to have a discussion upfront whether this
should be added to the library after the summer is over (assuming it
actually works by then). Decision to accept it or not as a SoC project
is independent, but if accepted, the student should well understand
the outcome of this discussion.

Regards,
Martin