[Python-Dev] Shorter float repr in Python 3.1?

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Tue Apr 14 12:34:16 CEST 2009

Ned Deily wrote:
>> I'll crank up some OS X installer builds and run them on G3 and G4 Macs
>> vs 32-/64- Intel.  Any tests of interest beyond the default regttest.py?
>
> FIrst attempt was a fat (32-bit i386 and ppc) build on 10.5 targeted for
> 10.3 and above; this is the similar to recent python.org OSX installers.
> The good news: on 10.5 i386, running the default regrtest, no signficant
> differences were noted from an installer built from the current main
> py3k head.

Okay, that's awesome. Thanks.

> Bad news: the same build installed on a G4 running 10.5 hung hard in
> test_pow of test_builtin; a kill was needed to terminate python.  Same
> results on a G3 running 10.4.

Okay, that's less than awesome. But still a huge thanks.

> Then I tried a couple of random floats:
>
> Python 3.1a2+ (py3k-short-float-repr, Apr 13 2009, 20:55:35)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)] on darwin
> -9.255965342383856e+61
> ^C
> Terminated  <-- kill needed

I don't suppose it's possible that you could run this under gdb and get
a stack trace when it starts looping (assuming that's what's happening)?

I think I might have a PPC Mac Mini I can get my hands on, and I'll test
there if possible.

Eric.