[Python-Dev] PEP 383: Non-decodable Bytes in System Character Interfaces

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Apr 25 14:28:11 CEST 2009

> The part that I haven't seen clearly addressed so far is what happens
> when disks get mounted across OSes (e.g. NFS).
>
> While I agree that there should be a layer on top that can handle "most"
> situations, it also seems clear that the raw layer needs to be readily
> accessible.

Indeed, with the PEP, the raw layer does remain readily available. If
you know that it was originally bytes, you can get the very same bytes
back if you want to.

However, for disks mounted across OSes, you won't have to, normally.
If you think there is a problem with these, can you please describe a
specific scenario? What application, what file names, what encodings,
what problems?

Regards,
Martin