[Python-Dev] PEP 383 and GUI libraries

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Apr 30 11:12:32 CEST 2009

> Did you use a name with other characters?  Were they displayed?  Both
> before and after the surrogates?

Yes, yes, and yes (IOW, I put the surrogate in the middle).

> Did you use one or three half surrogates, to produce the three crossed
> boxes?

Only one, and it produced three boxes - probably one for each UTF-8 byte
that pango considered invalid.

> Did you use one or three half surrogates, to produce the single square box?

Again, only one. Apparently, PyQt passes the Python Unicode string to Qt
in a character-by-character representation, rather than going through UTF-8.

Regards,
Martin