[Python-Dev] PEP 385: the eol-type issue

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 02:44:04 CEST 2009

Mark Hammond:

> Thanks Nick; I didn't want to be the only one saying that.  There is a fine
> line between asserting reasonable requirements for Windows users and being
> obstructionist and unhelpful, and I'm trying to stay on the former side :)

   I haven't commented on this issue before because I can't really be
helpful. I just don't understand why hg is being considered before
it's Windows support is roughly equivalent to svn and cvs.

   There has been some similar experience with the main repository for
the Cocoa port of Scintilla which is in bzr on launchpad. Several
times in that repository, files were checked in with wrong line ends
making every line appear changed when looking through history. There
are several causes for this including user error but bzr (and hg)
should default to more helpful behaviour on text files.

   Neil