[Python-Dev] PEP 385: the eol-type issue

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 09:44:18 CEST 2009

On 5/08/2009 5:35 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Now, the specific outcome of the process means that more work needs to
> be done. So we have a *second* PEP, and we have a lack of volunteers
> that help implementing it. The second PEP hasn't been approved yet
> (as it isn't complete, yet), so migration to hg is stalled.
> The primary volunteer (Dirkjan) has indicated that he can't help with
> that specific issue, so other volunteers need to step forward, or we
> cannot move to hg.

I don't recall Dirkjan saying he can't help with that issue - was it a
lack of time, or a lack of understanding the problem/lack of a Windows
environment?

The problem I see is a lack of agreement about exactly what the solution
entails.  I believe there is general agreement win32text needs to be
enhanced to support versioned 'rules'.  But even with that, the only
option I see is a truly cross-platform extension to implement these
rules which every Python committer, regardless of operating-system, is
expected to use - but that doesn't seem the consensus.

As mentioned, I'm willing to lend manpower for this once there is
agreement on something workable...

Cheers,

Mark