[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: help needed

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 5 09:57:29 CEST 2009

This is a repost from a month ago. It didn't get much feedback last
time. I have now two items.

In this thread, I'd like to collect things that ought to be done
but where Dirkjan has indicated that he would prefer if somebody else
did it.

Item 1
------
The first item is build identification. If you want to work
on this, please either provide a patch (for trunk and/or py3k), or
(if you are a committer) create a subversion branch.

It seems that Barry and I agree that for the maintenance branches,
sys.subversion should be frozen, so we need actually two sets of
patches: one that removes sys.subversion entirely, and the other that
freezes the branch to the respective one, and freezes the subversion
revision to None.

Of course, it seems that the actual representation of branches hasn't
been determined yet, so the build process integration may need to be
changed if named branches aren't going to be used in the end.

Anybody working on this should have good knowledge of the Python source
code, Mercurial, and either autoconf or Visual Studio (preferably both).

Item 2
------

The second item is line conversion hooks. Dj Gilcrease has posted a
solution which he considers a hack himself. Mark Hammond has also
volunteered, but it seems some volunteer needs to be "in charge",
keeping track of a proposed solution until everybody agrees that it
is a good solution. It may be that two solutions are necessary: a
short-term one, that operates as a hook and has limitations, and
a long-term one, that improves the hook system of Mercurial to
implement the proper functionality (which then might get shipped
with Mercurial in a cross-platform manner).

Regards,
Martin