[Python-Dev] Tkinter has many files

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Aug 6 15:59:01 CEST 2009

cool-RR wrote:
> Hello python-dev!
>
> I'm a Python programmer, but this is the first time I'm posting on
> python-dev, and I am not familiar at all with how the Python
> implementation works -- so this post may be way off.
>
> I've recently released a Python application, PythonTurtle
> <http://pythonturtle.com>, which is packaged using py2exe and
> InnoSetup. Due to the fact that my program needs to give the user a
> full Python shell, I've made py2exe package the entire Python standard
> library with my application. What I've noticed when I did that is that
> Tkinter has /a lot/ of files. This is a bit inconvenient for several
> reasons, the main one being that the installer for PythonTurtle takes
> a long time to copy all of those little files. (I think the reason for
> the slowness is not the weight of the files, but the fact that there
> are so many of them.) There are also other reasons why it's annoying:
> Ohloh thinks my project is "Mostly written in Tcl," and git-gui gave
> me trouble for trying to commit so many files.
> Do you think it will be a good thing to package all of these Tkinter
> files into one big file (or several big files)?

Do you mean the .tcl files? Tkinter is a Python wrapper around Tcl -
which is a separate project / programming environment that includes the
Tk GUI. Python is not in a position to modify or repackage those files.

Why do you need to keep the whole Python distribution under version
control? Isn't all you need a script to *generate* the py2exe'd output
from an *installed* Python? This is the approach I take with Movable
Python which does something very similar.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog