[Python-Dev] standard library mimetypes module pathologically broken?

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Wed Aug 12 05:22:02 CEST 2009

2009/8/11 Jacob Rus <jacobolus at gmail.com>:

> I have some other questions: How does one deprecate part of a standard
> library API? How can we alert users to the deprecation? When can the
> deprecated parts be removed?

Basically, you add a DeprecationWarning to the API. Then remove it in
the next major version.

<rant>
If python-dev was more interested, we would have a policy for this. *cough*
</rant>

> I don't want to just give up on this, because I put more than a day of
> time into it, and I really do think the previous code was of poorer
> quality than should be in the standard library: I don't want new
> Python users reading it and thinking that's just how things are done
> around here. But if no one looks at my patches, I'm not sure what more
> I can do.

It looks like you need to add some tests for the bugs you fixed to
test_mimetypes. While you're at it, you could improve that test
generally, since it's not exactly extensive.

Then, you might garner some more reviews by putting your patch up on
Rietveld; it makes reviewing much painful.

--
Regards,
Benjamin