[Python-Dev] how to debug httplib slowness

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 17:34:56 CEST 2009

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Try instrumenting the actual calls to the lowest-level socket methods
> (recv() and send()) and log for each one the arguments, return time,
> and how long it took.

Can I do that in python code?

> You might see a pattern. Is this on Windows?

Well, yes, but I'm not 100%. The problematic machine is a Windows box,
but there are no non-windows boxes on that network and vpn'ing from one
of my non-windows boxes slows things down enough that I'm not confident
what I'd be seeing was indicative of the same problem...

> It's embarrassing, we've had problems with socket speed on Windows
> since 1999 and they're still not gone... :-(

Oh dear :-(

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk