[Python-Dev] standard library mimetypes module pathologically broken?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Aug 15 17:00:33 CEST 2009

Hello,

Jacob Rus <jacobolus <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Okay, I made another patch,
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue6626
>
> That adds some deprecation warnings to many of the functions/methods
> in the module.

After a fair amount of discussion on Rietveld, I think you should post another
patch without the deprecations.
(since the discussion was fairly long, I won't repeat here the reasons I gave
unless someone asks me to :-))
Besides, it would be nice to have the additional tests you were talking about.

Thanks for doing this anyway.

> (I think the 'strict' parameters should also be deprecated. But I'm
> considering actually making a new class, MimeTypesRegistry, or
> something, and then just making its API stay mostly compatible with
> MimeTypes, but extended to behave the way I think it should, and
> deprecating the MimeTypes class altogether, making it a subclass in
> the interim.)

This sounds very pie-in-the-sky compared to the original intent of the patch
(that is, fix the mimetypes module's implementation oddities). Let's remain
focused. The more a patch tries to cater for different issues, the less easy it
if to review and discuss (and, consequently, the less likely it is to go to the
end of the approval process).

Regards

Antoine.