[Python-Dev] PEP 3144: IP Address Manipulation Library for the Python Standard Library

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Thu Aug 20 15:46:51 CEST 2009

-On [20090818 22:15], Peter Moody (peter at hda3.com) wrote:
>I have a first draft of a PEP for including an IP address manipulation
>library in the python stdlib. It seems like there are a lot of really
>smart folks with some, ahem, strong ideas about what an IP address
>module should and shouldn't be so I wanted to solicit your input on
>this pep.
>the pep can be found here:
>  http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3144/

No chance at the moment to test/look through the code, so please excuse any
obvious ones, I'm basing my comments on the PEP.

Some elaboration on handling ipv4 mapped addresses would be nice, e.g.
::ffff:c000:280 and/or ::ffff:

Some IPv6 examples would also help the PEP I think. Especially on how 0
compression is handled in addresses.

Maybe show ipv4 examples on non-class boundaries, e.g. /23 instead of /24,
so people are more convinced it handles CIDR properly.

Clarification on whether this library will support converting a sequence of
networks into another sequence where the networks which comprise consecutive
netblocks will be collapsed in a new entry. E.g. 2 /24s that are neighbours
will be represented as one /23.

I realise some might be answered by the last paragraph of your PEP, but it
would be nice to know what you consider essential and what not.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
They have learned nothing, and forgotten nothing...