[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: help needed

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Aug 21 10:50:00 CEST 2009

Mark Hammond writes:

 > * Add support for versioned 'filter rules' - eg, /.hgfilters or similar.
 >
 > * This might be pushing my luck, but: add 'defensive' support to core hg
 > for this feature - if /.hgfilters exists, hg should refuse to operate on
 > the working tree unless the win32text extension is enabled.

The name ".hgfilters" should be changed, then.  That's way too generic
to be used to "enforce" something as specific as win32text.  I can
imagine all kinds of things wanting to use rules or filters.

How about a scheme where an extension reserves a filter file for
itself in .hgfilters?  In this case the win32text filters would live
in .hgfilters/win32text, and if that file exists hg checks that
the corresponding extension has been enabled, and if not, refuses to
run (and tells you that if you really want to override, you rename the
file to win32text.disabled and commit).

Note that Bazaar is currently discussing some similar policies.  I
think the name they have settled on is ".bzrrules".  Maybe .hgrules is
a better name.