[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: help needed

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Aug 22 06:46:43 CEST 2009

Mark Hammond writes:

 > Something like ~/.hgrules having:

Surely you mean $PROJECTROOT/.hgrules?

 > [config]  # or maybe [rules] ?
 > required_extensions = win32text, some_pydev_specific_extension

[extensions]
required_for_commit = win32text,some_other_ext

That might require a change to hg's ini file semantics if currently it
refuses to parse [extension] sections in versioned hgrcs.

Note the change in name: I'm not sure exactly what the semantics
should be, but surely we want to allow browsing the repository,
branching, etc without enabling any extensions.

 > [Encode]
 > {rules for encoding}

No, there must be a way to indicate that "this is a section for a
specific extension".  Bare [Encode] will be seen as polluting the
global namespace, and will get a lot of pushback, I think.

 > This way you aren't *enabling* extensions in this versioned file,

True, but how many people will just download the extension and enable
it?  This would open a door to "social engineering".  (Personally, *I*
am not opposed to it on those grounds, but as devil's advocate I do
want to mention that as an argument you might run into.)

 > just listing rules about what extensions must be enabled.  From
 > core hg's POV, it doesn't care if the required extensions relate to
 > windows line endings or re-encoding images - it just honours the
 > wishes of the repo owner.

If it refuses the user's request, it should issue a message to the
effect of "Please enable win32text, which is required in <absolute
name of .hgrules>."