[Python-Dev] Setting up a buildbot

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 21:28:55 CEST 2009

I've just had a look on python.org, but couldn't immediately see a
pointer to instructions on what the process is to set up a buildbot.
There's a not on setting things up for pybots, but nothing on the core
buildbot setup.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of seeing if I could set up
a Windows buildbot of some sort, to offer extra coverage. It's early
days, yet, but I wonder if someone could answer a few questions for
me:

- Is there any documentation on how to set up a buildbot? If so, can
someone give me a pointer?
- What configurations would be most useful? (I've got a 64-bit PC, so
I can theoretically set up 32 or 64 bit VMs with VMWare, and with my
shiny new MSDN subscription, I can set up whatever OS is most useful).
- Is it possible to set up the pull/build/test side of the process
separately, before linking it into the full buildbot farm? That would
let me try things out on my own, and iron out any configuration
glitches before dumping it on the world.

Thanks for any pointers. It's early days yet, so it may be a while
before I have anything properly set up, but I'd like to see what I can
do.

Paul.