[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: help needed

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sun Aug 23 01:37:43 CEST 2009

On 22/08/2009 7:09 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>  From my POV, this would be required in some form or another before such
>> a scheme could actually work.  Without it we end up with an improved
>> win32text (good!)
>
> I still think this would be actually bad.
>
> Instead, a new extension should be written, with a name that does not
> have "win32" as a substring, and that has no provision for guessing
> line breaks by inspecting files.

To be clear, you are suggesting:

* Having hg enforce an extension as required is good.

* Python adopting win32text as that extension would be bad - instead
another extension with different semantics (ie, no guessing based on
file content) should be used, and enforced, instead.

Or have I misunderstood?

Assuming I am correct, I am inclined to agree - win32text may be "good
enough" in the short term, but it is far from ideal.

Cheers,

Mark