[Python-Dev] Support for Encrypted Zip as python scripts

Shashank Singh shashank.sunny.singh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 04:40:02 CEST 2009

oops..sorry for the empty mail :P

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Shashank Singh <
shashank.sunny.singh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> > Anyway it looks like if someone wants to try this, only the code in
>> > runpy.py needs to be touched.
>>
>> The necessary work would actually be in zipimport. runpy doesn't know
>> anything about the details of where the module code comes from, it just
>> asks the relevant importer for the details. For zipfile and directory
>> execution, they get added to the start of sys.path and then runpy is
>> invoked to look for the module "__main__". From that point on most of
>> the heavy lifting is handled by the regular import machinery (aside from
>> using the pkgutil emulation for the basic import behaviour that isn't
>> fully exposed by the imp module).

That is where I see the problem in creating a natural approach. Correct me
if I am wrong here but since runpy doesn't  know anything about the script
being a zip file to add such a support we will have to break the current
delegation mechanism and bring runpy in the loop too.

Also, since a zip file is automatically checked for (I believe there are no
switches to
specify that the script is a zip) will it not be a two trip mechanism: You
naively try
a to run a zip; get an error (say ERR_ZIP_ENCRYPTED) and then ask for
password?

shashank.sunny.singh at gmail.com
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~shashanksingh