[Python-Dev] Support for Encrypted Zip as python scripts

Bugbee, Larry larry.bugbee at boeing.com
Mon Aug 24 23:16:42 CEST 2009

>>> For what use case?
>> I don't have a specific case in mind.  In general, however, it
>> would be nice to be able to protect intellectual property
> This I'm also unclear about. How does it protect intellectual
> property? Won't the person running the zipfile have to enter the
> password? Whom would you protect the IP from?

I agree the IP will have to be exposed at some point to be useful, but let's not overlook other things that could be in play like PIA agreements and the like.  Also, something stronger than a password will be needed to be secure, and secret key distribution does not scale.  There is a lot more to consider and we are only scratching the surface.  Confidentiality in-the-large will take far more than encrypted ZIP files.

Please know that I am not pushing for the encryption of ZIP files and this thread is going down a path I did not intend, or desire pursuing.  My original post was intended to increase the awareness in those thinking encrypted ZIP files will 1) be easy, 2) afford the protection they desire, and 3) not lead others into a sense of false security.  Encryption sounds good, but doing it right can be a landmine.  A quick fix to support ZIP files will likely create more problems than it will solve.

I still say it would be *nice* if there was some way to protect IP.  I have no expectations that it will be easy, and least of all, solved by encrypted ZIP files and a simple patch to Python.  ...but that should not diminish the desire.

Larry