[Python-Dev] Excluding the current path from module search path?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 17:59:44 CEST 2009

Hi All,

I'm being bitten by this issue:

http://bugs.python.org/issue1734860

I'm not sure I agree with Daniel's closing of it so thought I'd ask here...

Am I right in thinking that the general idea is that "the current
working directory at the time of invoking a script or interpreter ends
up on the python path" or should I be thinking "the directory that a
script exists in should end up on the python path"?

If the latter, then what happens in the case of just starting up an
interpreter?

If neither, then how come when I have two .py files in a directory, I
can import one as a module from the other?

In any case, as a parting comment, http://bugs.python.org/issue1232023
seems to have been committed with no tests and the only documentation
being a one liner in the NEWS.txt file. Was there other discussion of this?

(Incidentally, export PYTHONPATH= or its Windows equivalent circumvents
whatever the patch was trying to achieve, so the change doesn't seem to
make sense anyway...)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk