[Python-Dev] PEP 3144: IP Address Manipulation Library for the Python Standard Library

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Aug 26 21:43:27 CEST 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Michael Foord <fuzzyman <at> voidspace.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Really? Discussing the GoF design patterns by name seems to be prevalent
>> amongst the programmers I know (yourself excluded of course...).
>>

> Ah? I still haven't understood what "Gang of Four" is supposed to be, however.
> Is it a design pattern?

The gang of four are the four folk who wrote the classic design patterns
book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_Patterns_%28book%29

Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson and John Vlissides.
> Besides, saying "I use the strategy design pattern" doesn't tell a lot, while an
> ad hoc description is much more informational (witness Martin's explanation for
> example).
>
> It's like those frameworks who have a class simply named "Factory" ;)

Well, depending on the circumstances it can convey some to no
information. :-)

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog