[Python-Dev] 3to2 0.1 alpha 1 released

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Fri Aug 28 01:40:33 CEST 2009

2009/8/27 Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Benjamin Peterson<benjamin at python.org> wrote:
>> 2009/8/27 Brett Cannon <brett at python.org>:
>>> What are the plans to merge this into Python's repository so we can
>>> all help out on this?
>>
>> None at the moment. I think the community needs to show its interest
>> in it and Joe his willingness to maintain it in the future in order
>> for it to qualify for addition to the stdlib.
>
> Is that how 2to3 got in? If I remember correctly, this was a huge
> request from the language summit - and by huge, I mean really, really
> big.

2to3 got in because it's part of our current recommended plan for
porting to Python 3.

Regardless of that, there's no hurry. There will be no major Python
releases for at least 6 months, and in that time, 3to2 can enjoy the
benefits of being separate from the core, frequent releases and
testing. People who are interested should look now; being "in the
core" isn't a requirement for that.

And anyway, I don't see the point of importing new stuff into SVN if
we're just going to move hg.

> In fact, I think you were the guy who was heading the SoC project, right? ;)

No, just mentoring. :)

--
Regards,
Benjamin