[Python-Dev] timed_command.py: consider for inclusion in std. library?

Charles Waldman cgw at hep.uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 28 19:40:07 CEST 2009

Here's a module "timed_command" I wrote a while ago and is generally
useful and might be a good addition to the standard library.  It is
like commands.getstatusoutput but lets you run a command with an
optional timeout.  Useful for systems programming where a sub-process
might hang.  Only works on POSIX, but could perhaps be modified to run
on other platforms (I don't have the knowledge of Windows to do this).
If you would like to add this to the library, I relinquish all rights
to it.

Here's a link to the source repository:

 http://repo.mwt2.org/viewvc/Python/timed_command.py?view=markup