[Python-Dev] Fast Implementation for ZIP decryption

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Aug 30 14:59:41 CEST 2009

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 06:55:33 pm Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> > Does it sound worthy enough to create a patch for and integrate
> > into python itself?
>
> Probably not, given that people think that the algorithm itself is
> fairly useless.

I would think that for most people, the threat model isn't "the CIA is
reading my files" but "my little brother or nosey co-worker is reading
my files", and for that, zip encryption with a good password is
probably perfectly adequate. E.g. OpenOffice uses it for
password-protected documents.

Given that Python already supports ZIP decryption (as it should), are
there any reasons to prefer the current pure-Python implementation over
a faster version?

--
Steven D'Aprano