[Python-Dev] Unicode locale values in 2.7

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Dec 3 13:04:00 CET 2009

> Well, one problem is that it messes up character counts.

Well, I know it does. That's why py3k is inherently better than 2.x's
bytestrings-by-default behaviour. There's a reason we don't try to
backport py3k's unicode goodness to 2.x, and that's it would be terribly
messy to do so while retaining some measure of backwards compatibility.

(By the way, I would mention that relying on locale to get number
formatting right regardless of the actual user is optimistic, borderline
foolish ;-))

cheers

Antoine.