[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 386 for addition

Michael Mysinger cybersol at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 05:53:18 CET 2009

More English language fixes:

-In Python there are no real restriction yet on how a project should
+In Python there are no real restrictions yet on how a project should

-Furthermore, this will make OS packagers work easier when repackaging standards
-compliant distributions, as of now it can be difficult to decide how two
+Furthermore, this will make OS packagers' work easier when repackaging standards
+compliant distributions, because as of now it can be difficult to decide how two

-to support many or all existing versioning schemas.
+to support all or even most of existing versioning schemas.
-reasons and we cannot expect that to change.                          +reasons that we cannot expect to change.
-version schemas and is a preferable alternative than supporting
+version schemas and is a preferable alternative to supporting

-there should be possible to express more than one versioning level
+it should be possible to express more than one versioning level

-The problem with this is that while it allows expressing requisite any
-nesting level it doesn't allow to express special meaning versions
-(pre and post-releases as well as development versions), as expressed in  +The problem with this is that while it allows expressing any
+nesting level it doesn't allow giving special meaning to versions
+(pre- and post-releases as well as development versions) as expressed in

-Also, notice that Distutils version classes are not really used in the
+Also, note that Distutils version classes are not really used in the

-which does not enforce any rule for the version, but
+which does not enforce any rules for the version, but

-Setuptools function is quite spread because it's used by tools
+Setuptools function is quite widespread because it's used by tools

-post-releases -- which apparently is used by a number of projects
+post-releases -- which apparently are used by a number of projects

This one is particularly critical to your intended meaning as I read it:

Technical question:

I don't know what notation this versioning schema was trying for, especially in regards to what the +'s mean:
N.N[.N]+[abc]N[.N]+[.postN+][.devN+]
Am I missing something here? You could maybe explain what the pluses mean in the PEP, and why some are inside the [] and others are outside.

Or a regular expression version like this might be more specific.
N.N(.N)?([abc]N(.N)?)?(.postN)?(.devN)?

Or an linux help version like this may be more readible.
N.N[.N][{abc}N[.N]][.postN][.devN]

Cheers,
Michael Mysinger
(longtime python-dev lurker)