[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 386 for addition

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 01:49:33 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I believe that the current situation is as close to consensus as we
>> will get on distutils-sig, and in the interests of avoiding months of
>> further discussion which won't take things any further, I propose to
>> allow final comments from python-dev and then look for a final
>> decision.
>
> I don't see any information in the PEP for alternate proposals that were
> made during its drafting. It's customary to explain what alternative
> proposals have been advanced, and give the PEP champion's explanation of
> why they weren't chosen.

Since most discussions at the end were about the precise syntax of the
versions schema,
(using "-" instead of ".")  I don't see the point of adding in the PEP
text itself the list of
those proposals, and why each one of them was not kept.

Now by "alternate" if you mean a proposal that is completely different
from what is in the PEP,
I don't recall that we had any viable alternative proposals in the discussions.
By "viable" I mean something that provides what we need : a schema that
allows us to compare final versions, but also development, pre and
post-release versions.

> This is, of course, in the interests of forestalling further repetition
> of those same discussions.

Right, I see what you mean, and I was indeed expecting that some
people were going to ask things that we already talked about at
Distutils-SIG.

My intent if this happens, is to provide very concise answers here,
that correspond to a summary
of what has been said, and if required with some links to some
relevant mails at Distutils-SIG.

IOW, the process should be fairly short here (unless we find out we
are missing a big point somehow in the PEP), so if you do think about
something that should be talked about (e.g. if you think the PEP is
not right for any particular reason), please let's discuss it.

Regards
Tarek