[Python-Dev] First draft of "sysconfig"

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue Dec 15 04:42:19 CET 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:40:56 +1100, Mark Hammond <skippy.hammond at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think it is fine.  If you are really looking for properties specific
> to the operating system (eg, the location of the start menu, desktop,
> appdata folders etc)

But under windows, an application developer might (as in probably
would) like to install an application in \Program Files\someapp
rather than hidden in the bowels of the python interpretor.

They might like their data in "Application Data", which is where
support people get trained to look for application data. Not down
in \pythonX.Y\ ...

> I don't think they belong in this PEP; they are a
> property of the OS install/version, not of the specific Python
> install/version.

Yes - exactly. My point.

The operating system says that programs should be installed into
"Program Files" and data into "Application Data". Why can not
python respect the operating system directions for well behaved
apps?

David