[Python-Dev] First draft of "sysconfig"

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 10:46:47 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
[..]

>> > I don't think they belong in this PEP; they are a property of the OS
>> > install/version, not of the specific Python install/version.
>
> I think the “sysconfig” specification should allow for *extension*,
> without needing a modified specification each time a new distinct
> location is requested.
>
> That is, those developers and packagers who don't need a gamut of system
> locations can stick to a minimal set, while those who need many can use
> them, and those who need many can extend the set compatibly.

That's part of the idea, get_path() is a generic API that would allow
any implementation
to add extra paths if needed. The keys I have provided are the
existing keys we have
in distutils and some extra keys that removes all the custo code that
was building
paths using os.path.join here and there in the stdlib.

Now I didn't add an API to allow dynamic insertion of new paths
because I don't see a use case
for that : if a packager wants to work with an extra path, she can
work at the project level
by providing custom distutils commands to do the job.

Unless you have another use case in mind ?

Tarek