[Python-Dev] First draft of "sysconfig"

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:21:01 CET 2009

David Lyon wrote:
> I was thinking that perphaps sysconfig could help me get my
> helloworld.py application into a \Program Files\hello world
> directory and everything would be rosy.
>
> But not yet. So I will wait.

No, we mostly leave that to the py2exe/py2app + native installer
developers of the world. There are a *lot* of thorny issues in getting
installers fully in accordance with OS developer guidelines, which is
why we tend to shy away from it.

That said, we did add the zip archive execution capability so that
complex Python applications can be more easily executed without needing
to install them at all.

Cheers,
Nick.