[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 01:01:44 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> I'll remove it and push it in Distutils documentation, then might just
>>> provide a link in the PEP References.
>>
>> That sounds fine to me.
>
> That would address my questions as well - someone looking for a guide on
> how they should deal with different versions of the metadata on the
> production and consumption side can look at how distutils deals with it,
> leaving the PEP as a pure spec for the metadata format without distutils
> API details mixed in.
>
> (where it makes sense in explaining the use cases for the different
> fields, I'm fine with referencing distutils API details though)

I've updated the PEP accordingly, and also made some changes after the
discussions
we had with Martin on Distutils-SIG on how versions are defined.

FYI we have introduced a range operator, so one may define a range of versions.
This is useful for instance to write:

  Requires-Python: ~=2.5

Which means: requires any version of Python 2.5.x. This operator is
the default operator,
meaning that you can also write:

  Requires-Python: 2.5

Regards