[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

david.lyon at preisshare.net david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Dec 28 05:41:41 CET 2009

>> Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek <at> gmail.com> writes:
> An implicit range operator is simpler indeed, and achieves the same goal.
>
> Meaning that "<=2.5" for example, will be translated to "<=2.5.x" as well.

With respect, it's not a very common use case for a developer to
say that package needs a python interpretor 'older' than 2.5.

There comes a point where you can just not expect a python
interpretor, say 1.3, to not work with your package. So they
wouldn't say that. I don't think.

Nor would they say it going forward. So ">=2.5" might be too
bold a claim for them to make. As they might not have
tested on the 'latest-and-greatest' interpretor. That
would imply that they know it works on all 3 series interpretors.

imho, all that they would know, is that they're using python
(for example) 2.4 or 2.5 (pick a python version) and they
know it works pretty well.

It's then up to the user if they want to use it on any other
version.

That's why I don't think we need the '=' '>=' operator
characters to represent typical use cases.

If there's any use-case, that I have missed. Do let me
know.

David