[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Dec 28 10:49:06 CET 2009

> Point of order:  what is the point of sending the discussion off to the
> distutils SIG if we are just going to bikeshed it (again!) here.

Bike-shedding it here is indeed inappropriate. If the PEP had listed all
possible arguments that can come up in this discussion, and the
corresponding counter arguments, then the discussion should be over.

Alas, it seems that the PEP still has open issues, which may mean that
distutils-sig didn't finish its work, or that the more general public
has different concerns.

Wrt. the ~= operator that is now under discussion: I proposed it on
distutils-sig, Tarek (eventually) agree, nobody else commented. Now
python-dev people neither like the syntax, nor the semantics. Saying
that distutils-sig has discussed that aspect would be incorrect,
though.

Regards,
Martin