[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Dec 29 00:55:17 CET 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 23:21:54 +0000, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> David Lyon <david.lyon <at> preisshare.net> writes:
> >
> > Requires a particular python version.
> >
> >   > Requires-Python: 2.5:2.7
>
> Why not drop ranges as well as operators and simply use commas?
> The above would be rewritten as:
>
> Requires-Python: 2.5, 2.6, 2.7
>
> This would prevent the ambiguity on the inclusive or exclusive nature of the
> upper bound of the range.

What about specifying that the package works only with, say, 2.6.2 or
earlier (because of some problem introduced by 2.6.3)?  That could get
pretty darn verbose.  (Also remember we aren't just talking about the
syntax for Python versions, but versions for any package).

I do think it is also a valid argument that, from what I've heard here,
most extant (linux at least) packaging systems use the >=, etc, operators,
so I think talking about changing the proposed syntax radically is
probably misplaced.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com
Business Process Automation - Network/Server Management - Routers/Firewalls