[Python-Dev] Removing tp_compare?

Niklas Norrthon niklas.norrthon at esri-sgroup.se
Mon Feb 2 08:52:28 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 21:33, "Mark Dickinson" <dickinsm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 6:03 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> > [...] sizeof(void*) may be
> > different from sizeof(cmpfunc*) on some platforms.
> Do you know of a platform where this is actually the case?

> I don't, so if no-one else does either then there's probably little
> point worrying about it.  The best reference I could find (besides
> the C standards themselves, and in particular section 6.3.2.3 of
> the C99 standard) was an ancient and short discussion on
> comp.std.c (starting June 21, 1998, subject
> "Q: void pointers and function pointers") where some of the
> posters claimed to have encountered such platforms.

I do know of at least one such platform. Sure it's a bit dated, and
probably not relevant for the python development, but definitely
not exotic or rare!

Don't you rememeber the PC:s in the late 1980th? It was based on
Intel's 80286-processor, and Microsoft's C compiler supported
three or four different memory models, called things like "TINY",
"SMALL", "LARGE", and "HUGE". Most of these memory models had
different sized data and function pointers.

Niklas Norrthon