[Python-Dev] Should there be a source-code checksum in module objects?

Rocky Bernstein rocky at gnu.org
Mon Feb 2 09:52:23 CET 2009

As I've mentioned, I've been re-examining from ground up the whole
state of affairs in writing a debugger.

One of the challenges of a debugger or any source-code analysis tool
is verifying that the source-code that the tool is reporting on
corresponds to the compiled object under execution. (For debuggers,
this problem becomes more likely to occur when you are debugging on a
computer that isn't the same as the computer where the code is
running.)

Is there a checksum of the source text computed and stored in
compilation? If not, should there be one?