[Python-Dev] Strange locale problem with Python 3

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Feb 2 14:40:55 CET 2009

On 2009-02-01 19:44, Reto Schüttel wrote:
> Hi
>
> While helping Brandon Rhodes to port PyEphem[1] to Python 3 we struggled
> over a
> strange locale-related problem on OS X. PyEphem is a library which can do
> astronomical computations like tracking the position of stars, planets and
> earth satellites relative to the earth's position. When testing out the
> Python
> 3 release of PyEphem I noticed that on my OS X laptop a lot of calculations
> were wrong (not completely wrong, but clearly not accurate) compared to
> Python
> 2.5. We (well mostly Brandon) were able to track down the problem to the
> TLE
> parser (TLE are data file containing the orbital elements of an object)
> which
> appears to read most values wrong with python 3. In fact it cut of the
> decimal
> parts of all floats (1.123232 got 1, etc). Manually setting LANG and
> LC_ALL to
> C solved the problem.
>
> It turns out that some parts of Python 3 got more locale dependent on some
> platforms. The only platform I am aware of is OS X, on Linux Python 3
> appears
> to behave like Python 2.x did.

This is probably due to the unconditional call to setlocale() in
pythonrun.c:

        /* Set up the LC_CTYPE locale, so we can obtain
           the locale's charset without having to switch
           locales. */
        setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "");

In Python 2, no such call is made and as a result the C lib defaults
to the "C" locale.

Calling setlocale() in an application is always dangerous due to the
many side-effects this can have on the C lib parsing and formatting
APIs.

If this is done just to figure the environment's locale settings,
then it's better to reset the locale to the one that was active
before the setlocale() call. Python 2 uses this approach. Python 3
does not.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 02 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/