[Python-Dev] clarifying PEP 302 loader responsibilities upon failure

bcannon at gmail.com bcannon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 22:56:35 CET 2009

Guido and I were discussing what a loader should be responsible for when
load_module is called and an exception is raised in relation to sys.modules
as PEP 302 says nothing about the topic.

We both agree that if the loader added a module to sys.modules it should be
removed, otherwise it should be left alone.

Assuming no one disagrees I will update the PEP to specify that this is the
expected job of loaders.

-Brett