[Python-Dev] Closing outdated Mac issues

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Feb 15 21:43:59 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:13, Daniel (ajax) Diniz <ajaksu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the discussion of a feature request for MacPython[1], the OP (hhas)
> said:
>
>    As of Python 2.6/3.0, all Mac-specific modules are deprecated/eliminated
>    from the standard library and there are no longer any plans to submit
>    appscript for possible inclusion. This issue should be rejected and
>    closed.
>
> If that is the current state of Mac modules, there are no less than 17
> issues* that should be closed, 4 bug reports** that might be kept open
> and 4 mixed-cases*** that might be obsolete/irrelevant.
>
> Besides amounting to 1% of open issues, these can divert efforts to
> bogus issues: I've submitted a patch for one of the mixed-cases (bug +
> feature request), but now don't think it was worth it.
>
> So, if someone could reassure / clarify the rules for closing these in
> general and/or take a quick look at specific issues, that would be a
> great help.

As of Python 2.6 everything Mac-specific is deprecated and in 3.0 they are
gone (you can read PEP 3108 for the details or just note that the
Mac/Modules directory is gone in 3.0). They will still be around in 2.7,
though, as these are Py3K deprecations. Not sure what has been left in the
Mac directory, but I think it is just random scripts (I never use the
Mac-specific stuff so I don't know how useful some of them are to keep).

Honestly, fixing them is fine but since the modules are deprecated but still
in existence in 2.x, but they are definitely nothing above a normal priority
issue.

-Brett