[Python-Dev] draft 3.1 release schedule

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Mon Feb 16 00:23:22 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
>> 3.1a1 March 7 (Saturday)
>> 3.1a2 April 11 (Saturday)
>> 3.1b1 May 2 (Saturday)
>> 3.1b2 May 23 (Saturday)
>> 3.1rc1 June 13 (Saturday)
>> 3.1rc2 June 27 (Saturday)
>
> And final release on...?

Oops! Forgot about that one. :) July 4th.

>> I'm interested in your feedback with regards to the amount of time in
>> beta and RC phase. Do you think we need that much time? Otherwise, we
>> could move the final release back sometime in mid June.
>
> It's a bit hard to compare this to other release schedules because
> it's coming much sooner after 3.0. I would guess this means that not
> as much has changed, and so the schedule could conceivably more
> compressed. If you want to take beta seriously as a time of
> consolidation where no new features should be added and no API changes
> should take place, you might consider dropping one beta, since in
> practice it is often hard to keep developers from wanting to change
> stuff anyways.

Something like this?

3.1a1 March 7
3.1a2 April 4
3.1b1 May 2
3.1rc1 May 30
3.1rc2 June 13
3.1 Final June 27

That sounds reasonable. I will try to enforce a fairly strict
stability policy during the beta and RCs.

> You might also want to collect a list of serious changes that you want
> in this release; I know I/O in C is on the list (and without it I
> wouldn't consider it worth releasing) but there may be others. The
> developers of such features ought to be on board with delivering their
> code before the first beta.

I've started a list on the release PEP [1].

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0375/

--
Regards,
Benjamin