[Python-Dev] IO implementation: in C and Python?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Feb 20 23:02:09 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 13:15, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>  Currently, if I want to verify that (say) cFoo and Foo do the same thing,
>> or compare their speed, it's easy because I can import the modules
>> separately.
>>

> Also, won't foo.py be wasting time in most cases by
> defining python versions that get overwritten?

But that's only at import time and that is rather minor compared to other
execution costs.

> Instead of defining things directly in foo.py, maybe it
> should do
>
>  try:
>    from cFoo import *
>  except ImportError:
>    from pyFoo import *
>
> Then the fast path will be taken if cFoo is available,
> and you can directly import cFoo or pyFoo if you want.

See the other thread I started on discussing best practices for this, but
this won't work for modules where only part of the implementation has an
optimized version in an extension module (e.g. pickle).

-Brett