[Python-Dev] Attention Bazaar mirror users

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Feb 21 10:57:04 CET 2009

> I didn't say "from source", I said "from a VCS checkout".  If using a
> *specific* recent official release of a core tool is bureaucratically
> infeasible, it would IMO be very unusual if you're allowed to checkout
> and build arbitrary versions of Python, rather than using a version
> provided by your bureaucrats.
>
> The number of people whose job is *specifically* developing Python, or
> developing code that depends on bleeding-edge Python, in such an
> environment is surely very small.

This completely contradicts with my experience. In a university
environment, students regularly check out software from the source
repository, modify it, and build it, just to learn something by doing
so. Yet, in such an environment, they have little control over their
systems - they cannot install software themselves, but have to ask
the university bureaucrats (which often reject such wishes, unless
they come from a teacher - and often even in that case).

There is no problem with people building their own versions of Python,
though - they do so in their home directories, and OS security
mechanisms prevent them from doing harm to other users.

Regards,
Martin