[Python-Dev] code.interact() locals + globals?

Rocky Bernstein rocky at gnu.org
Sun Feb 22 00:20:26 CET 2009

I notice  code.interact() in Python 2.6 has a parameter for locals but not
globals. Should it?

Ultimately,  *exec* is used underneath so I don't see a technical reason why
it couldn't add a global parameter. Also, although one could pass in a
dictionary that is the merger or update() of locals() and globals(),  this
has a couple of downsides.

First, if the intention is to allow update of local and global variables,
combining the two into a single dictionary wreaks havoc. Even if one doesn't
care about this, when the underlying *exec* is performed it will see
different and wrong values for the functions locals() and globals() among
other problems of this kind.