[Python-Dev] Silencing IO errors on del/dealloc?

Daniel (ajax) Diniz ajaksu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 01:51:17 CET 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Guido van Rossum <guido <at> python.org> writes:
>> The svn history of those lines may have more pointers.
>
> Well this code dates back to the first checkin in the py3k branch. Apparently
> the old p3yk branch is not there anymore...

The history is available (see below), but tells nothing that would be
useful/relevant.

Daniel

History of io.py is available on ViewVC:
http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/p3yk/Lib/io.py?view=log&pathrev=56853

It's possible to checkout that as a peg revision:
svn  co -r54910 http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/p3yk/Lib/@r54910

Then, svn blame tells where it comes from:
 54728 guido.van.rossum     def __del__(self) -> None:
 54728 guido.van.rossum         """Destructor.  Calls close()."""
 54728 guido.van.rossum         # The try/except block is in case this
is called at program
 54728 guido.van.rossum         # exit time, when it's possible that
globals have already been
 54728 guido.van.rossum         # deleted, and then the close() call
might fail.  Since
 54728 guido.van.rossum         # there's nothing we can do about such
failures and they annoy
 54728 guido.van.rossum         # the end users, we suppress the traceback.
 54728 guido.van.rossum         try:
 54728 guido.van.rossum             self.close()
 54728 guido.van.rossum         except:
 54728 guido.van.rossum             pass

And here's the log for that rev:
http://svn.python.org/view?view=rev&revision=54728