[Python-Dev] Challenge: Please break this! [Now with blog post]

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Feb 24 20:27:57 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:05 PM, tav <tav at espians.com> wrote:
>> And instead of trying to make tb_frame go away, I'd like to add the
>> following to my proposed patch of RESTRICTED attributes:
>>
>> * f_code
>> * f_builtins
>> * f_globals
>> * f_locals
>>
>> That seems to do the trick...
>
> A goal is to use this in App Engine, yes? Which uses cgitb to report
> errors? Which needs these restricted frame attributes to report the
> values of variables when the error occurred?

The goal is not to run the entire app in the sandbox. The goal (Tav's
goal I should say -- I don't have this need myself :-) is for an app
to be able to safely run snippets of Python uploaded by users of the
app. I think it's fine if those snippets can't format beautiful
tracebacks -- the app's own ability to do so is not affected.